Strength Performance Network

While most of today's student athletes are involved in structured strength and conditioning programs, ensuring that student athletes athletes maintain nutritional habits that maximize their performance is often difficult.

Ideally most student athletes eat on campus in cafeterias designed to provide food to maximize their performance. In reality, however, many student athletes rely on themselves to satisfy their nutritional requirements. For some this means that "fast food" is often a staple of their diet. To address the old adage, "if you can't beat them, join them" Carroll University outlines some simple rules a student athlete can follow if a visit to a "fast food" restaurant is a must. Read it here.

What other nutrition tips/information specific to today's athlete can you provide?

Views: 20

Replies to This Discussion

Apparently many student-athletes are also not taking in enough calories and/or carbohydrates specifically. Given all of the news about the benefits of a high-protein diet (or higher protein diet) and a reduction in overall caloric intake, I'm not surprised that many athletes are not taking in enough calories and/or carbs. Athletes need to remember, however, that they are not the "average" person. As such, the higher physical demands they are placing on their bodies requires more (healthy) calories and a higher carbohydrate intake than the average person. Click here for some thoughts on the subject. Follow the links within the document for more information.
I have been recommending a good/honest text for many years now, "Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy" by Walter Willett. I have gotten unprecedented results with thousands of clients on all levels, athlete and non-athlete alike, age 6-76.
Dr. Willet was a proponent of a better food paradigm long before the new mypyramid came out.

RSS

¬© 2017   Created by Brian Harris.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service