Strength Performance Network

Muscle Milk and other supplements for HS and College Football Players

For a while I was a pre and post workout muscle milk guy. I thinks it's one of the best proteins out right now. Many guys I know and myself have used many different proteins over the years but this one is awesome! It has a great taste and really does taste like chocolate milk. I used to use the RTD. Does anyone have an objection to using muscle milk? I know it's not FDA approved. However, I have not used a protein supplement for a while. I'm trying to see if I can get the same results by attaining a healthy amount of proteins and carbs in my meals without supplements. I want to adopt this philosphy and use it once I become a strength coach and not use any supplements by doing it "natural." I know proteins and amino acids are used to repair muscle but would using supplements frequently such as most athletes do have negative effects on a person later in their life? Are there any other S&C coaches that feel an athlete can attain the same results from hard work and a balanced diet as opposed to taking any supplement?

Views: 133

Replies to This Discussion

I think that muscle milk is great. I use it myself but always realize that these products are "supplements", which means an addition to good ol' regular food. Nothing beats regular food man. Eat as much healthy foods as you can and then it doesnt hurt to supplement with some protein. Also be careful because you said something very important and that is these products are not regulated by the FDA. What that means is the FDA usually keeps a "hands off" approach but in the event that there arise cases of illnesses or death associated with a product, like ephedra, then they will get involved and take it off of the market. Other than that, the FDA doesnt get involved. This means that supplement companies can put anything on the label that they want to and not tell you if any other ingredients are included within the supplement.

As for Muscle Milk, the reason that I like it so well is because it has a blend of whey and casein protein in the mixture. What that means is after a workout, you get a great spike in good quality protein from the whey, but also a nice constant flow of slow digesting protein from the casein so the "feeding" is a lot longer.
Brealand-
I have supplemented with many different protein and post-workout drinks and have noticed gains while using each of them. I get asked by people and local athletes, like a lot of us do, about what supplements he or she should take to improve their abilities in the weight room or during athletic events. I never recommend a supplement due to the fact that it is not FDA approved and I don't want to be linked to any health problems that person might develop while using a supplement. I have also noticed that supplement companies are getting a little wild with the ingredients they are throwing in or say they are throwing into their products. As far as doing it the "natural" way, I have read articles of strength coaches giving their athletes just chocolate milk after their workout. Some studies have shown that the difference between chocolate milk and a protein drink supplement were very minimal. The protein drink supplement groups showed a little bit better increase in FFM, but both groups made strength gains. Another thing to remember is how important it is to restore glycogen levels after a hard workout. This can be done with orange juice or some sports drink. I will look up the names of the studies I am referring to if you want them.
Dustin,
Feel free to post those links of those studies. I would like to read them.

-Brealand
Brealand-
Here are a couple of articles you can look at: 10-week strength training program and recovery drink on body composition, muscular strength and endurance, and anaerobic power and capacity
http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(04)00006-1/abstract

Chocolate milk may improve recovery after exercise
http://www.humankinetics.com/IJSNEM/viewarticle.cfm?jid=27PVKWx427Z...

I found these studies after reading an article in the NSCA's strength and conditioning journal.
Post-Workout Nutrition for the High School Athlete by Mike Nitka. Volume 30 number 4 Aug. 2008

Hope this helps you. The links are only to the abstracts.

-Dustin
Hey Dustin its funny that you mentioned that coaches were giving their athletes chocolate milk after workouts because i have heard the same thing about the minimal difference between the two. But i have been a fan of muscle milk for some time now, but recently i have discontined the use of their products beause of what Brealand mentioned, trying to obtain all nutrients from a well balanced diet and doing it the natural way. But i walked into gnc the other day and seen an "all natural" form of muscle milk. I havent tried it yet thou but i am willing to, its just the fact that its alot more expensive than the original. has anyone tried it yet? and i dont know if this type is fda approved or not, most likely not thou because of it still being a supplement.
You really saw "All Natural" Muscle Milk Romin? Have you read anything up on it yet? I wonder how much different it is from the original if at all.
Let me correct myself, after i posted my last comment i looked up that muscle milk. It was called muscle milk "natural." They call it natural because they use only natural flavors. So its the same product minus the artifical sweeteners, flavors, and colors. GNC sells it for $50, but if you havent heard of prosource.net you should check that out, they sell the same product for $25, this is where i normally order from. but i didnt see any customer reviews on the product, so im assuming it works the same as the original
I like supplements overall. For the high school or young athlete I favor a well balanced meal as post workout nutrition. Ingesting protein mixes, creatine, etc, tend to put a bit of stress on kidney function. No teen needs elevated creatinine or BUN levels. I would rather an individual wait until they are in their early twenties before supplements become a daily regiment. Additionally, good uninterrupted sleep will certainly keep test levls high and help repair the body. Alot of teens don't pay enough attention to sleep.-Mark
My kids use Collegiate Muscle Milk. When high school kids dont eat right. The 40 proteins add to their bodys what they are missing from their meals and feeding the muscle after workouts.

Bruce DeWalt CSSE, CPR/AED
Head Strength and Speed Coach
Marbury High School
Marbury, AL
334-318-6822

RSS

© 2017   Created by Brian Harris.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service