Often times my brother and I sit in the gym and think about how to make great interesting training impliments with normal gym equipment. If you have a barbell and a few clips you can turn it into a 2 inch thick grip dumbbell in less than 5 minutes!
Instructions to make a thick grip dumbbell:
1. Unscrew the pin off of the end of the bar (usually can be done by hand or with an allen wrench unless its a spinning power bar).
2. Load a weight all the way to the end and clip it there.
3. Approximate 4 1/2 inches in from the other end and put a reliable clip on the bar.
4. Load another weight on it plus 2 1/2 lbs and clip it. If you do not have 2 1/2 lb weights at your gym, move the weight in slightly and use a 5. The 2 1/2 and the 5 lb weight is to counterbalance the nub on one end of the pin.
5. VARIATION FOR OVERHEAD LIFTING. The clips are fine for lifting it, curling, rowing, etc, but if you are going above your head you will want something more reliable. Instead of using clips inside the weight, use hose clamps. Screw them on tight and the weights won’t move.
CHECK OUT MY SITE - NEWSLETTER SIGNUPS WILL GET INFORMATION ON HOW ...